Saturday 14 December 2013

Wood Club

I've spent a fair bit of time in the workshop over the last few weeks. I haven't made much, instead I've been helping my friends Nick and Dave turn some bowls and make some oak chopping boards. It's been a lot of fun and we've had regular meetings of what Nick has now named 'Wood Club'.



Dave turned two big sycamore bowls out of two halves of the same log. These were both made as presents for his colleagues.





And here are the finished bowls:



It was a really interesting experience teaching someone how to turn. Having taught myself and not really understanding why I do what I do, it was a good learning experience for me to have to explain the process and through doing so, gain a better insight into what's going on.

Here is Nick's bowl:



Though it is a fair bit smaller than Dave's, it was a bigger challenge because of hollowing out in a smaller space. Both lads did a great job and are hooked on turning now. Nick has already got himself a lathe and I'm sure Dave will follow suit just as soon as he can get a dedicated space.

Wood Club in full swing


No comments:

Post a Comment