The log I used was very fresh, I don't think I've turned anything as green before and I think it made it a bit difficult to get the kind of finish I wanted on the end grain areas. It made me think of something I read in Robin Wood's excellent book The Wooden Bowl, which talked about leaving the wood for a period of time to 'mellow' before turning it. Maybe I should have let it mellow, but it didn't turn out too bad anyway.
I think that the inward curve going towards the rim could do with being more pronounced, but I'm happy with it for a first attempt. I'm looking forward to painting it with some Milk paint once it's dried, and to having a go at making more.