Friday 20 June 2014

Frosts Mora 120 rehandle

This is the first whittling knife I bought. I chose the 120 as opposed to the 106 because back then the longer blade scared me. Let's face it, to the un-initiated these knives look particularly nasty and dangerous - just a step away from a Fairburns-Sykes commando knife. Of course, I've since realized the benefits of a longer blade and so this knife has sat in my carving bag doing nothing.

So, when I saw Ju's recent post about rehandling a Mora I couldn't help thinking it would be a nice little project for my oldest knife.

A couple of years ago my father-in-law gave me a shed. He had bought a new one and so I inherited the one he had bough over thirty years ago, back when they made sheds to last. I had put it up hurriedly without first preparing the ground it was on and over the years it had subsided to the point where I could barely get the door open. Plus, it was at the end of the garden so I had to traipse across a wet and sometimes muddy lawn to get to it and trail an extension lead across the length of the garden if I wanted electricity for the bench grinder, belt sander, pillar drill, lathe, band saw, etc.

So at Easter I made it a priority to move it closer to the house and onto the pebbles where it would be more accessible and better supported - I also put 6ft long 2x6 batons under it. And it worked well and I'm very happy to have a dry, straight workshop in which to do little jobs again. I have made many knives in this shed, both with bought blades and blades I have made myself, but this is the first knife I have worked on since movingd it.

It's a simple design, which is the way I like my knives. Brass, fibre spacer, leather, reindeer antler, oak burl, leather spacer.

I had a lovely thick bit of brass for the bolster, but it's been a while since making a knife and I have lost the knack of drilling a slot that fits the blade snuggly and I ending up have four attempts and wasting it all before giving up and settling for something thinner.


It's a good length for me and fits in my hand comfortably.

Ju gave me the slice of oak burl some time ago - I think he got it from a car boot - and while the figuring isn't very great, It's still a nice piece of wood.

There were a few cracks in the oak which I filled with apoxy resin.

 I put a simple chamfer on the end of the handle - looks ok and stops chipping where there would otherwise be a sharp angle.
Not the most beautiful knife, perhaps, but unique and works well. I really enjoyed this little bit of knife making and will definitely do more in the summer holidays. I really enjoyed the smell of the sanded oak and found I had even missed the smell of sanded antler!

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - I tried it out today and it actually feels really good in hand - I was afraid the polished finish might make it 'slippery'.

      Delete
  2. What a great looking knife, reminds me of some of the knives in the Swedish Carving Techniques book. Any chance of 'How to do this' now you've got power in your shed?

    ReplyDelete