Sunday 6 October 2013

Carved Bowl Finished


So I finally got around to finishing my first carved bowl and I'm kind of happy with it. It's not perfect, but I learned some lessons and the next one will be better. I'll definitely put more effort into the planning next time rather than just going at it free hand and I cant wait to try with some proper green wood.  This stuff was a bit spalted, which looks nice, but wasn't the easiest to work with.


What I really enjoyed was trying the different tools and experimenting with what works for each part of the bowl. To shape the outside I used a knife, a drawknife, a push knife, a spokeshave and a block plane. Unfortunately I didn't get to use my lovely Hans Karlsson dog leg gouge as the bowl was too small and the bottom was too tight for the sweep of the gouge. Oh well, next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment