Sunday 25 January 2015

A bit of weekend carving....

Not a lot to say, just a few pictures.

I love kuksas and have only made two before, and not terribly successfully. I love Jon Mac's ale bowls and Alexander Yerk's kuksas so I thought I'd have a go at something simple, straight sided.

http://www.theaxeisboldaslove.com/

http://www.spooncarvingfirststeps.com/

A nice solid chunk of sycamore to begin with.

Hollowing out with my Robin Woods hook knife.




Oh dear, it was all looking good, and then starts to go wrong - see the chip on the edge of the bowl.

This is as far as it got - you can't see it but a bit crack opened up where the handle meets the body.
Oh well, it's back to the drawing board - any tips on kuksas would be most welcome.

Serving spoon in willow.




Spatula in willow, a bit of bark left on the handle.

You can't see it too well, but it has a nice curve to it and follows the grain of the wood it was split from.
And now for something a bit different - some old used spoons. Why? Well, since I have been using some of the spoons I've made, cooking with them and washing them, I've noticed the natural patina and wear and tear that some of them are taking on, and I love it. I think it makes the spoons look even better. Here are I few I particularly like:

I love the different colours you get from cooking with oil and spices - curry, chili etc.


Darkened with butter.


I love the way the wear highlights the tool marks.






So, my advice to anyone who has not yet done it - make a spoon and use it!

2 comments:

  1. That is a bummer the kuksa didn't fare well. Maybe the crack was how you were axing into the handle? Its tough to not abuse the wood in those delicate sections. Sometimes you can hand saw out the handle, maybe that'll help. I say give it another go!

    Thanks for the shout out! Feel free to shoot me an email if you need any tips.

    Cheers
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right - I was being a little too zealous with the axe. I'll definitely try again - I find your kuksas so inspirational! Thanks for the offer of help, I'll definitely take you up on that!

      Delete