Saturday 5 May 2012

New froe...

I've wanted a froe for quite some time now, but couldn't really justify it as it's not something I think I'll use that often. I've seen themin use several times and just love to see proper riven wood.

There are a number available now, though they range in price from about £29-80, and I can't believe there is that much difference in the performance. When I saw this hand forged froe on ebay for only £18 I thought I'd give it a whirl.

When it came it was basically straight sided with a short bevel. Drew Langsner says they should be tapered from tip to back and slightly convex so I stuck mine in the vice and went at it with my angle grinder. I think the profile is a little better now.

I had a piece of seasoned Birch in the shed that I'd practised green turning on, and then just left to dry out, about two years ago. It was from a tree in my inlaws' garden and while birch probably isn't the best for tool handles, I thought I'd give it a go.

Turned it, sanded and oiled it, and wedged it with a bit of seasoned oak. Haven't tried it out yet, but since it's bank holiday, I'm hoping I'll get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment